Print Friendly

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can submit a report?

Anyone can file a BIT referral.

Are there other places on the Kirtland website that a BIT referral can be submitted?

A BIT referral can be submitted at the following pages on the Kirtland website:

  • BIT webpage
  • Public Safety webpage
  • Counseling webpage
  • Faculty can submit on their mykirtland webpage within the “faculty” tab

Should I approach the person prior to making a referral?

Whenever possible, you should express your concern(s) directly with the student.   However, should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action for the safety of all involved is to access intervention from people who are trained in these areas.

What if I’m not ready to make a report, but I just need some advice about handling a student issue?

You can always contact the Public Safety department at (989) 275-5000, ext. 355.  It may help you with tips, ideas and resources on how to approach a situation

What if I’m not sure if I should report the concern?

You are registering a concern based on an observed behavior (e.g., verbal exchange, action, etc.), not making a determination.  By alerting the appropriate campus representatives, a professional determination can be made.  Let the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) weigh the information and see if gathering more information is warranted.

What will happen to the person who I submit a report about?

Although the action/outcome will depend upon the situation, the BIT will intervene in support of the person of concern, as well as in support of college policies and procedures.

How will I know that the situation has been addressed?

BIT will address every report that is brought to the committee. Interventions by BIT members typically involve handling of confidential information, so those filing reports will not necessarily know the resolution of a situation. If you continue to have concerns about the situation, please contact the Public Safety department.

Will the student know that I am the person who reported her/him to BIT?

BIT will attempt to handle all matters discreetly.  In most cases, we would expect that the student has been notified of your concern (for example, academic dishonesty rulings, classroom disruptions, code of conduct violations).  A reported student will be given specific information about the behaviors/actions that occurred so they can respond to the reported concern.   Therefore, it is possible that a student may know who made the report through the circumstances described to them.

Who has access to a report?

The reports are managed by the Kirtland Public Safety department.

If the BIT referral becomes part of a disciplinary action, the records related to the Student Code of Conduct and records related to the Academic Integrity Policy are considered part of a student’s educational record.  Such records are maintained in accordance with the 1974 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

What if I just had a question not answered above, what should I do?

We welcome all questions and suggestions.  To do so, please contact you’re the Kirtland Public Safety department.