Print Friendly

Disibility Concerns FAQ

Do I have to tell anyone at Kirtland about my disability?
You are not required to tell anyone at the college about your disability. However, if you want to receive academic accommodations, and/or auxiliary aids you must tell staff members in the office of Student Support Services office and provide documentation of your disability.
How is this process different from high school?
The laws that apply to K-12 are different than the laws that apply in college. K-12 schools must identify and provide remediation to students with disabilities. Colleges only are required to provide equal access and accommodations may be different at the college level. In general, the burden of responsibility shifts from the K-12 school to the college student. As a college student, you must contact the office of Student Support Services to initiate services.
Will I be charged for disability support services?
You will not be charged any fees for academic accommodations necessary because of a documented disability.
When should I submit my documentation?
Your documentation may need to be reviewed or clarified by staff members in the Office of Student Support Services. You may need to provide additional information. You should initiate the process as early as possible after you are admitted to Kirtland.
Is it ever too late to request accommodations?
You can begin the process of requesting accommodations at any time. However, accommodations will not be provided retroactively and your grades will not be changed after you are approved for accommodations. You will have to abide by certain timelines depending on the type of accommodation you need. Not all accommodations can be implemented immediately.
Why are my accommodations here at Kirtland different than my high school or other college(s) I have attended?
High schools often offer accommodations meant to help ensure a student’s success. At college, the governing laws simply require that an institution not discriminate against a student with a disability and provide access to curriculum. There are no IEPs or 504 Plans in college, therefore services at college may be quite different from high school. Services may also differ between colleges. Different colleges have different philosophies on accommodations. Below may be possible reasons that accommodations may differ between colleges:
  • Documentation does not meet the college’s guidelines
  • The accommodation is in conflict with the academic policies of the college or school
  • The accommodation would fundamentally alter the program, course, or activity
  • Documentation does not support the requested accommodation
  • Providing the accommodation would pose a direct threat to the student or others
  • Providing the accommodation would constitute an undue financial or administrative burden to the college
Do I have to use all of my accommodations in every class?
No. Not all accommodations are necessary or even appropriate in every class. However, if you choose not to use an accommodation, you will not be given the chance to make up the work with accommodations at a later date.
Do standards of appropriate behavior apply to students with disabilities?
Yes. All students are expected to abide by the Kirtland Student Code of Conduct. The ADA does not require the college to accept threatening or disruptive behavior from college students, even if the disability itself may be indirectly responsible.
Can I request an accommodation directly from my instructor without first meeting with Student Support Services?
No. All accommodations must first be approved by the office of Student Support Services. Individual faculty members have no obligation to accommodate you until you are approved by the office of Student Support Services.
Who informs my instructors about my accommodations?
You will be given an “Instructor Notification” letter to forward to your instructors.  This letter will list your approved accommodations. It is your responsibility to discuss your individual situation with each instructor.
What if a faculty member refuses to provide accommodations?
Please contact the office of Student Support Services as soon as possible to receive assistance in resolving the situation.
Does Kirtland provide attendant care or transportation?
No. Kirtland students are responsible for self-care and transportation. Colleges are not required to provide personal and individually prescribed devices or services of a personal nature.