Print Friendly

Frequently Asked Questions

When/how do I submit a work order?

There are four types of work order requests:

Routine Request: If you need something cleaned, repaired, installed, moved, or replaced, fill out a Work Order Request Form – one (1) request per work order. Obtain administrative approval and forward to Facilities Management Department. ― Routine work requests will not be accepted by phone Requests will be entered into the work order system, and the work will be scheduled and repairs made. Maintenance workers prioritize their work orders. Emergency Service Requests: Service provided in emergencies includes those problems which threaten life, safety, health or will damage a building. These requests include:
  • No water
  • Electrical power failure
  • Propane gas leaks
  • Roof Leaks
  • Chemical Spill, etc.
During regular office hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, Call #263 If N/A: Call #350 Urgent Service Requests: Maintenance staff provides prompt service for urgent maintenance and repair problems such as:
  • Pipe leaks
  • Plumbing problems; plugged drains
  • Broken windows
  • Security problems
  • Broken locks
  • Temperatures
During regular office hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, Call #263 If N/A: Call Joe – #223, Fred – #381, Ron – #214 or Jeff – #445 After 4:30pm; Monday – Friday: Call #350 For update inquiries please contact the Facilities Management Department at extension #263. Remodel, Change or Addition: To request a Remodel, Change or Addition to an existing area, complete a Finance Physical Resources (FPR) Worksheet for Requests. These requests will be forwarded to the FPR committee which uses a method to rank and assign a value to projects. A list is compiled with value totals which determine order of completion.
How do I submit a key/key card request or lock change?
Fill out a Key/Key card Request form. Obtain administrative approval and forward to the Director of Criminal Justice. After the request is approved, the form will be forwarded to Facilities Management Department and processed – allow a 7-10 day turnaround. NOTE: Key’s & keycards are individual assignments. For security reasons; return and/or collect keys at the end of each semester or when employment has been terminated.
When are custodians available?

Routine Services:

Custodians are on campus between the hours of 5:00am and 11:00pm. Daily routines are scheduled to be as invisible as possible. If you have a special request, or are aware of an urgent need, call the Facilities Maintenance office at #263.

Non-routine Services:

Custodians are scheduled to provide coverage for non-routine events. Work orders and Event Sheets should be submitted well in advance of any activity to ensure services will be available.
How do I send and/or receive a package?
Incoming – Shipping & Receiving is located in the Arts/Maintenance Building and is staffed each work day from 7:00am—3:30pm. The Facilities Utility person is responsible for receipt and distribution of all incoming shipments to the appropriate campus departments. Outgoing – Shipping & Receiving will provide pickup and shipping services for individual departments. To make arrangements, call Shipping & Receiving at #344, or the Facilities Maintenance office at #263.
How do I dispose of my hazardous waste?
Chemicals, oils, paints or other hazardous waste should not be disposed of in trash containers or dumped down any drain. Hazardous Waste removal is provided by contract and its operation overseen by the Facilities Management Department. It is scheduled on a regular and/or as-needed basis. For MSDS sheets, we have contracted with 3E – Right To Know. If you have a chemical spill, or come in contact with a hazardous substance, you may call 1-800-451-8346. Be sure that you have access to a fax machine. Info you should have when calling:
  • Product name & number
  • Manufacturer name
  • UPC code (if available)
An MSDS sheet will be faxed to you immediately.
Does Kirtland recycle?
Recycle Guidelines  (view Recycle Guidelines)
  1.  Separate your paper: either Regular trash, or Recycle in BLUE box.
  2. Any paper for SHREDDING needs to be put in the RED box. This paper is of a confidential nature. Each department is responsible for their own shredding. The Shredder uses only clear bags. Once the shredding is completed, the custodian will take the clear bag to the recycle dumpster. Remember: “SHRED IS RED”
  3.  The following Mixed Office Paper/Junk Mail is accepted: • White office paper Manila folder – Yellow pad paper • Colored paper Computer paper • Notebook paper Junk mail • Envelopes NCR or carbonless forms • Sticky notes Paperback books • Newspaper print Glossy paper such as flyers or inserts • Magazines are accepted for recycle. Place the papers to be recycled into the recycled box. (NO BOUND MATERIALS WITH STRING OR TWINE)
  4. 4. The custodian will NOT sort things in baskets or recycle box.
  5. 5. The custodians will pick up the BLUE recycle box and place the papers in a clear plastic bag.
  6. 6. The custodians will place the clear plastic bag in the dumpster labeled for recycled cardboard. (The cardboard dumpsters are ok for this as long as the papers/shredded papers are in a clear bag so that the recycle place can see that it has only paper and not regular garbage in it.)
  7. 7. Recycle dumpsters are located at the ADM, STU, INS, and ART Buildings.
  8. 8. If you would like a BLUE recycle box or RED shredding recycle box, please call x263.
  1.  All boxes must be torn down and flattened before placed into the recycle dumpster. Just slide it thru the slot on the dumpster or open the lid – whichever applies for the dumpster.
  2. Custodians will remove your boxes for you and put them in the recycle dumpster if you set them out. Those of you that handle boxes regularly should break boxes down and take to the dumpster yourself, or call X263 for this service.