Honors Degree Overview
The Kirtland Honors Program is designed to meet the needs of students of high academic standing who are seeking additional challenges and rewards in both general education and occupational programs. Honors students earn academic credit in honors courses (with transcript recognition for all completed honors courses), and upon completing the honors degree program, may be awarded an honors degree.
A total of 12 credits in honors courses are required to earn an Honors Associate Degree. Honors degrees may be earned in all of the following degree areas:
Honors Associate in Arts
Honors Associate in Applied Science
Honors Associate in Business Administration
Honors Associate in Fine Arts
Honors Associate in Science
Honors Degree Requirements
Students admitted to the Kirtland Honors Program who complete the following requirements will be awarded an honors degree:
- The student must complete at least 12 honors credit hours. These hours may be earned in the following ways:
- in courses which are designated as honors courses (indicated by an HON course number)
- at least 3 of the 9 additional honors credit hours must be in the student’s major
- in honors sections of regular Kirtland courses (indicated by a course number with a .99 suffix).
- in regular Kirtland courses taken with the Honors Option.
- up to three credits in Honors Projects (HON 225) undertaken in conjunction with non-honors courses.
- up to three credits in honors service learning by taking Honors–Service Learning Project (CAR 200.99).
- The student must have a cumulative Kirtland grade point average of at least 3.50.
See Description of Kirtland’s Honors Courses for a list of the kinds of available Honors courses
- The student must complete all other requirements established for his or her degree at Kirtland.
Every effort will be made to ensure that honors students can complete the requirements for an honors degree within two academic years. However, students must be made aware that scheduling difficulties may prevent their completion of the requirements within two years.
The honors degree will be noted on the student’s degree certificate; honors courses will be noted on the student’s transcript. At the graduation ceremony, academic regalia will include some feature distinguishing an honors degree recipient.