Develops, coordinates, and performs maintenance, enhancement, design and content of the Kirtland Community College websites. In addition, the individual in this position will provide advice, insight, and recommendations on future concepts, development, and direction of web-based services as part of the college’s marketing department and related services.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Responsible for creative design and development, from conception of prototype concepts through final programming, for all areas of online design, including college websites and online advertising and marketing materials for the internet.
Plans, organizes, designs, and implements strategies to provide web services for both instructional and administrative functions.
Coordinates with college departments and faculty to assess requirements, identify appropriate internet technologies to meet objectives, and assist in implementation of web services.
Creates and maintains the framework for web page development, i.e. databases, content, organization, and navigational structure.
Assists in development of policies and procedures relative to information and internet services.
Coordinates with others as required to ensure the website is consistent with other print and electronic communications.
Develops procedures to continuously review and maintain the currency, accuracy, appropriateness, and accessibility of Kirtland’s website.
Coordinates the overall production and creation of content for the college’s websites.
Designs and/or maintains the college’s web pages, and assists in the design and maintenance of web pages for individual departments and units.
Works with individuals and departments to develop web page(s), adhering to college design standards and brand identity.
Ensures regular testing of function and links, and updating of time-specific content.
Responds in a timely manner to questions and requests for assistance; provides professional advice and assistance to faculty and staff regarding the creation or revision of website pages and information.
Processes, prepares, and posts digital photographs to accompany Kirtland web displays.
Troubleshoots and resolves website problems in conjunction with other information technology staff.
Functions as the advocate for web-based communications within the college community; maintains state of the art knowledge in internet-based technologies, and provides insight, advise, and recommendations on future concepts, development, and direction of college web services. Provides implementation team leadership for major web service projects/initiatives.
Participates in ongoing research and keeps abreast of constantly changing web design, development, and programming standards.
Develops coding and layout standards for all college websites.
Integrates site analytics into design workflow and monitors and evaluates web traffic.
Optimizes college websites for search engines.
Ensures that all college websites are compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Accessibility Initiative, and all website content, including web applications, web pages and all attached files, is equally accessible to people with disabilities.
Participates on college committees and keeps abreast of college events.
Supervises media production specialist for duties related to video production.
Performs other related tasks as required.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the college president, and in collaboration with college staff requiring web services.
- Bachelors degree in website design and development, computer science, graphic design, or a related field
- Three to five years experience in the design, creation, and implementation of professional websites, or combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the requirements of the position
- Expert knowledge of website development process – from idea concept through implementation
- Demonstrated collaboration, communication and project management skills
- Strong graphic creation/editing skills using Adobe Photoshop and related software tools
- Full understanding of and demonstrated implementation of W3C web design specifications for optimized semantic markup
- Strong knowledge of cross-browser and cross-platform issues and design constraints of the Web.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team oriented environment
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience with web services and database tools
- Ability to work effectively with adults in an educational setting
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, Attention to Detail, Judgment, Work Standards, Planning and Organizing, Initiative, Sensitivity, Informal Communications, Written Communications, Teamwork, Impact, Oral Communications, Dependability, Commitment to the College.
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.