Kirtland Community College, with educational facilities serving Northeast Lower Michigan, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Human Resources and Business Generalist (position is located at the main campus near Roscommon, MI).
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Assists with the daily operations of the business/accounting office and human resource office.
- Maintains a professional perspective and employee confidentiality.
- Interacts with college employees, students, board members, or outside contacts to provide information, solve routine problems, or otherwise respond to requests; represents the college vice president where appropriate within the college community as well as with external agencies.
- Coordinates college property/casualty insurance plan. Collects information and keeps insurance company updated regarding potential claims or risks. Submits property loss and liability insurance claims to the insurance company as needed. Follows up with individuals involved in insurance claims and/or insurance company representatives.
- Coordinates college workers’ compensation insurance. Assists employees in completing accident report forms and completes appropriate claim forms for the college. Submits claim forms and billings associated with claims to insurance carrier.
- Oversees mandatory online training for employees using Global Compliance Network (GCN) internet-based training. Serves as an administrator on the GCN website, responsible for setting up employee accounts and designating mandatory tutorials for various employee groups based on input received from the Assistant Director of Human Resources and other supervisory personnel. Notifies employees when mandatory training is due and tracks completion records.
- Reviews and responds as appropriate to notices and requests for information from the Michigan Unemployment office, keeps staff and administration informed of issues, responds to notice of hearings and coordinates the college’s hearing participation.
- Interacts with college employees, students, applicants, or outside contacts to provide information, solve routine problems, or otherwise respond to requests.
- Composes original correspondence and produces letters, memos, reports, forms, charts, or other documents from oral instructions or notes.
- Assists with the college bid process by advertising bid notices and posting them to MyKirtland.
- Assists with employee recruitment. Responsible for posting job opening announcements to the Kirtland website, and local & national advertisers, as needed. Composes advertisements for vacant positions and submits to appropriate media outlets.
- Prepares and distributes contracts and/or memoranda of understanding pertaining to college business.
- Coordinates all public notice postings.
- Maintains certification as a notary.
- Prepares and updates annual academic program review.
- Assists in labor contract negotiations. Maintains and updates collective bargaining agreement for college unionized group.
- Conducts research, composes original correspondence; prepares letters, memos, reports, forms, charts, or other documents from oral instructions or notes.
- Responsible for maintaining policy and procedure manual and all college legal documents and business contracts.
- Prepares weekly general fund bank deposit.
- Provides assistance to Accounts Receivable during high peak times such as phone calls to students and monitoring payment plan adjustments.
- Provides backup for Payroll, Accounts Payable and Property Tax reconciliations when needed.
- Support role as secretary for board finance committee and full board when needed.
- Works with outside vendors to acquire the paperwork necessary to establish them as a vendor or to update existing vendor information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the Vice President of Business Services, with duties also assigned from Assistant Director of Human Resources and the Director of Finance.
ATTENDANCE – Individuals in this position are expected to be generally available during the normal business hours of the college, and may occasionally be asked to vary their schedule to meet department requirements.
WORKING CONDITIONS – Conditions are those of a typical office environment, requiring frequent oral and written communication with college employees, vendors, and members of the community, and the ability to enter and retrieve data and written communications in electronic format in a timely manner. Occasional travel may be required, including evenings and under conditions of inclement weather.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or human resources, accounting, or related field
- Three to five years of related experience, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Proficiency with computerized communication and record-keeping programs
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles; experience with computers and ability to learn and use a variety of personal computer software
- Effective analytical, interpersonal, and communications skills
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, judgment, planning and organizing, sensitivity, attention to detail, knowledge of work, work standards, initiative, informal communications, written communication, teamwork, dependability, commitment to the college.
An equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.