The Network Administrator’s role is to ensure the stable operation of the computer networks. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. The person will also analyze and resolve end user hardware and software computer problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Perform network design and capacity planning.
Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
Installs and maintains network file servers and network operating systems; ensures that backup copies of all files are routinely made and securely stored at separate location; maintains system documentation.
Provides second level technical support to users concerning network system operations.
Diagnoses problems with network equipment and performs equipment repair or upgrades when appropriate.
Installs, configures, and maintains multi-user software to be accessed from file servers.
Administer and maintain end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
Installs, configures, and maintains network cabling and other networking equipment such as hubs, switches, and UPS.
Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of network connected end-user hardware, software, and peripheral devices
Manage security solutions, including firewall, anti-virus, and intrusion detection systems.
Works in close cooperation with Systems Analyst and Lead Information Technology Technician to facilitate management of computer labs, installing any software needed for each semester and/or special seminars.
Orders software, hardware, and other supplies as required for the institutional computer network, personal computers, and computer labs.
Works with System Administrator and Director of Institutional Services in planning, installation, and documentation of network topology and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
Assists System Administrator with maintenance of VOIP phone system.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
ATTENDANCE– Individuals in this position are expected to be available during the normal business hours of the college, and may occasionally be asked to vary their schedule and/or work overtime to meet department requirements
WORKING CONDITIONS – Work will generally be performed using computer equipment in an indoor office environment. Setup or maintenance of some peripheral equipment may require work in areas such as data rooms or wiring closets with restricted room for movement
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the director of institutional services.
- Associate degree in computer science, data processing, or related field
- Three to five years of networking experience, or a combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Operational knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and application virtualization
- Operational knowledge of network and routing protocols
- Operational knowledge of Windows Server and Active Directory
- Operational knowledge of switch configuration and programming
- Ability to install software and hardware on networking equipment and microcomputers
- Familiarity with a variety of networking and personal computer software
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform routine maintenance on servers, computers, and peripheral equipment
- Ability to communicate information to faculty, students, staff, and the public in a clear and concise manner
- Ability and desire to work as a member of a team
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, judgment, attention to detail, commitment to the college, dependability, informal communication, initiative, knowledge of work, planning and organization, sensitivity, teamwork, technical/professional self development, work standards.
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.