Provides administrative and secretarial support to the director of Library Services and Tutoring; performs technical services related to the operation of the library including processing acquisitions, circulation, copy cataloging, interlibrary loan, and ready reference as required; provides information and support for the Tutoring program.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Reviews and edits item and patrons records in the library’s automated system
Responsible for copy cataloging, both online and offline, meeting OCLC and AACR2 standards
Runs reports, overdue notices, and maintains files for lost materials
Processes inter-library loan requests
Performs physical processing of new materials
Performs ready reference as a backup to the reference librarian
Supervises student workers on an intermittent basis
Uses a variety of software required in the operation and maintenance of library and tutoring records
Interacts with students, college employees, or outside contacts to provide information, solve routine problems, or otherwise respond to requests
Meets with students seeking tutoring, answers questions, and schedules tutoring appointments
Maintains student tutoring files ensuring accuracy and confidentiality of information
Screens and schedules appointments and maintains calendar for the director
Performs other related tasks as required
ATTENDANCE – Individuals in this position are expected to be available during the peak business hours of the college.
WORKING CONDITIONS– Conditions are those of a typical office environment, requiring frequent communication with students and colleagues, and the ability to enter data and written communications in electronic format in a timely manner.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the director of library services and tutoring
- Associate degree with experience in college research
- One to three years of library experience, academic library experience preferred
- Experience with an automated library system
- Knowledge of OCLC searching, OCLC inter-library loans, and/or copy cataloging experience preferred
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification system and current cataloging standards
- Proficiency in computerized word process and spreadsheets and the ability to learn and use a variety of computer software related to the position
- Ability to interact effectively with others in an educational environment
- A commitment to client service
- Willingness to learn new skills in a constantly changing environment
JOB DIMENSIONS – Attention to Detail, Dependability, Work Standards, Knowledge of Work, Sensitivity, Commitment to the College, Technical/Professional, Self-development , Teamwork, Self-Reliance Informal Communication
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.