Provides services to the students, faculty, staff, and the director at the college’s Michigan Technical Education Center (M-TEC) located in Gaylord, Michigan. The individual in this position will assist with office projects and activities, and with the provision of student support services.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Prepares outgoing mail, sorts and distributes incoming mail; places and receives telephone calls
Provides support to faculty, staff, and director; types letters, memos, reports, forms, charts, or other documents from oral directions and notes
Files, stores, and retrieves information for record keeping and reporting; sets up and maintains student and departmental files
Interacts with employees, students, and outside contacts to provide information, solve routine problems
Proctors compass testing; explains testing process to students and makes testing appointments, inputs compass scores on student information system
Prepares semester room schedule for M-TEC classes and posts room signs as needed
Assists with student services functions using the student information system and established processes/procedures for each functional area including processing applications, verifying financial aid status, taking and posting payments, ensuring appropriate forms are completed for student files, etc.
Provides day-to-day student support services; meets with potential students, provides printed materials, answers questions, sets up advising and testing appointments, prints unofficial transcripts, verifies student attendance for external agencies, etc.
Provides assistance for workforce development events; prepares mailings, answers phone inquiries, processes applications and registrations, receipts payments
Assists with M-TEC bookstore services including retail sales (books and supplies).
Facilitates meetings and special events; takes facility requests, schedules rooms, makes catering arrangements, arranges for necessary services with other campus departments, prepares and posts signs and provides event information to the University Center for building display monitor, prepares invoices for room rental
Assists other office staff in monitoring office supply inventory, may order office supplies and restock forms as needed
Performs other related tasks as required.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the director of the M-TEC
- High school diploma or GED and up to one year of college, vocational, or business school
- One to three years of secretarial experience, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Proficiency in word processing (tables, graphs, charts, 45 wpm accurate keyboarding) and ability to learn and use a variety of personal computer software
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with adults in an educational setting
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, judgment, planning and organizing, sensitivity, stress tolerance, knowledge of work, commitment to the college, attention to detail, work standards, initiative, informal communication, written communication, teamwork, dependability
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.