Individuals in this position will serve as the initial contact for the Student Financial Services Office providing professional and positive customer service. Assist students with questions, paperwork, requirements, as they relate to financial aid and student receivables.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Provides information and assists students with student account-related functions. Will guide both prospective and current students through the entire financial aid process. Interacts face-to-face with a large number of students.
Determines the customer’s individual need; provides appropriate forms, schedules appointments with financial aid officers, refers to appropriate departments.
Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, a variety of financial aid and enrollment related information to students and parents. Explains aid programs, application procedures and eligibility criteria. Responds to questions regarding billing, financial aid, payment deadlines, tuition rates, and 1098T tax forms.
Receives and reviews large volumes of paperwork for completeness and accuracy. Prepares student files for verification and packaging review. Handles confidential material and communications.
Sorts incoming mail. Receipts all incoming monies including tuition payments, tax revenue and outstanding invoices.
Assists with the student employment program; informs and advises students of general work study terms and conditions, provides required forms.
Refers students seeking a tuition payment plan to the College’s third party provider. Submits agreement changes as students make schedule adjustments and receive financial aid. Ensures all account balances and installment amounts are accurate prior to ACH processing dates. Imports installments onto student accounts.
Dispenses petty cash, prepares and disburses gift certificates.
Authorizes bookstore charges for students who have sponsors or excess financial aid.
Encourages and empowers our students to utilize Kirtland’s on-line services and web pages.
Performs other related tasks as required.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the Student Financial Services Supervisor
ATTENDANCE– Individuals in this position are expected to be available during the normal business hours of the college, and may occasionally be asked to vary their schedule and/or work overtime to meet department requirements.
WORKING CONDITIONS – Conditions are those of a typical office environment, requiring frequent oral communication with students and colleagues, and the ability to enter data and written communications in electronic format in a timely manner.
- High school diploma or GED and one or more years of related study at a college, vocational, or business school
- Three to five years of work experience in financial aid or student support services, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position.
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping
- Experience with personal computer software, complex computer based systems and multi-faceted network related software and database management systems. Operate a variety of office equipment including a desktop calculator
- Demonstrated ability to process and maintain information that is often ambiguous and highly confidential
- 45 wpm typing
JOB DIMENSIONS – Attention to detail, planning and organizing, analysis and judgment, dependability, work standards, informal communication, stress tolerance, sensitivity, commitment to the college, teamwork
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.