Kirtland Community College, located near Roscommon in the rural Northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, is seeking to fill a full-time administrative position responsible for general education and transfer programs at the college. Major responsibilities include developing new programs, revising existing programs, evaluation of programs and faculty, budget preparation and management, collecting data and using it to make programmatic decisions, planning, and scheduling of courses and staff. The associate dean is expected to represent the college in matters of general and transfer instruction and to work with all employees.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides for and promotes sound instructional and curricular planning on a semester, annual, and long-range basis for assigned general education and transfer programs.
- Supervises faculty members in assigned general education and transfer programs.
- Supervises faculty support staff.
- Participates in and promotes projects that enhance instruction and help the division to achieve annual goals and objectives which are a part of strategic planning.
- Supervises planning of the semester course schedule.
- In collaboration with others, is responsible for recruiting, selection, orientation and evaluation of faculty — both full and part-time.
- Develops budgetary proposals and manages academic budgets throughout the academic year.
- Provides recommendations that ensure that instructional facilities, equipment, and supplies are adequate and in a suitable, safe state for use.
- Works with the faculty to periodically review programs and curricula and coordinate curriculum development activities.
- Establishes and maintains the objectives and standards of online and extension programs in accordance with strategic directives, institutional policy and procedures, and as established by the laws of the state of Michigan, applicable licensing agencies, Michigan Department of Education, and the Kirtland Community College board of trustees.
- Responsible for needs assessment, membership/participation in professional organizations, advisory committees and relationships with coordinating agencies. Works with the faculty to obtain and maintain appropriate accreditations for all assigned general education and transfer programs.
- Facilitates the promotion and marketing of instructional programs and courses.
- Participates in the counseling and disciplinary process as outlined in the student handbook and Kirtland’s academic appeal policies and procedures.
- Through appropriate college channels, promotes media recognition of instructors and students to enhance the image of programs and the college.
- Communicates actions and decisions of the board of trustees and administration to instructional personnel.
- Participates in meetings of the instructional council (IC) and curriculum and instruction committee (CIC) as well as other meetings that are deemed appropriate.
- Involves faculty in strategic planning.
- Serves as a liaison between faculty and the dean as well as between faculty and college administrative team (CAT) in regularly scheduled meetings.
- Supports and helps implement professional development activities.
- Performs other related tasks as required.
SUPERVISION – Works under the supervision of the vice president of instructional services
ATTENDANCE – Individuals in this position are expected to be generally present and/or available for college business when and as required by contract, policy, or lawful direction of the college administration. Regular and reliable physical attendance at appropriate college meetings and related functions is an expectation essential to fulfillment of administrative duties.
WORKING CONDITIONS– Conditions are those of a typical college-level office and classroom environment. Individuals in this position must be cognizant of employee’s job performance and progress, have the ability to process complex and ambiguous information, to effectively manage contrasting opinions and beliefs, be able to learn, adapt, and make appropriate decisions, and able to communicate effectively with employees, professionals, and the general public.
- Master’s degree (required), doctorate (preferred), in Educational Administration, Instructional Design, or other general education related field
- Demonstrated leadership experience within the past three years
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in continuous quality improvement strategies
- Three years of instructional experience, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of the position
- Technology, multimedia, and distance education experience
- Practical working knowledge of online courseware and systems
- Ability to effectively supervise and direct professional instructional staff
- Ability to work effectively with others in an academic environment
JOB DIMENSIONS – Knowledge of work, performance results, planning and organization, impact, negotiation, persuasiveness, self-reliance, sensitivity, attention to detail, work standards, stress tolerance, initiative, technical/professional self-development, judgment, analysis, decisiveness, commitment to the college, teamwork, dependability, informal, written, and oral communication, influence, delegation, presentations
SALARY – Base salary for the associate dean level is $72,500 – $89,723, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Kirtland Community College provides an extensive medical, dental, vision, retirement, and professional benefit package
STARTING DATE -New administrative contracts begin July 1, 2014. The college will consider an earlier start if the candidate selected for the position is available at an earlier date.
APPLICATION DEADLINE – Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and at least until close of business January 31, 2014. Send cover letter, resume, copies of transcripts and credentials, and three professional references to:
Human Resources Department
Kirtland Community College
10775 N. St. Helen Road
Roscommon, MI 48653
989-275-5000, ext. 239 or 271
An equal opportunity employer
For further information please contact: Kathy Barber