Kirtland Community College is accepting applications for part-time positions (28 hours per week), assisting in the general operation of the college’s bookstore, cafeteria, and on-campus catering service at the Grayling campus location. Duties include food preparation and cleanup, reconciliation of cash registers, handling catering events, participating in inventory counts, and performing general merchandising functions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Places orders for school, office supplies, clothing, food and miscellaneous items.
- Prices products using predetermined profit margins.
- Performs efficient retail customer service.
- Assists in the preparation and cooking of hot and cold foods, serves food to students, employees, campus guests and catered events.
- Assists with cleaning cafeteria equipment.
- Assists with set-up and preparation tasks, positions tables and chairs as may be required for food service, meetings, or conferences
- Inputs information into Point of Sale system and uses cash registers as needed
- Receives orders of books and food, will stock accordingly and help build displays
- Follows food safety and sanitation requirements
- Performs other related tasks as required
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the Director of Auxiliary Services
ATTENDANCE – Individuals in this position are expected to be generally available throughout the year during the peak business hours of the college, and for evening and weekend events as scheduled. Must be able to work variable hours.
WORKING CONDITIONS – Conditions are those of a typical retail and food service environment, requiring observation of appropriate food handling and safe kitchen equipment operating and cleaning procedures, oral communication with clients, vendors and colleagues, the ability to lift, stack, and transport bulk food items and retail stock, to handle and serve food and retail items, arrange furnishings, and the ability to enter data and written communications in electronic format in a timely manner.
- High School diploma or GED
- Current food service certifications, or willingness and ability to soon acquire
- Six months to one year experience in retail setting, food service for the public, or a combination of education and experience commensurate with requirements of position
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to efficiently perform a variety of tasks under pressure of time and client demands while maintaining a professional and personable manner.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving up to 50 pounds, perform routine cleaning and serving, and operate a cash register
JOB DIMENSIONS – Knowledge of Work, Judgment, Planning and Organizing, self-reliance, sensitivity, attention to detail, work standards, initiative, stress tolerance, technical/professional self development, analysis/judgment, commitment to the college, teamwork, dependability, communications
COMPENSATION – This is a part-time hourly position for which the starting pay range is $11.87 – $15.14, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Limited fringe benefit package.
STARTING DATE – August 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE – Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Department
Kirtland Community College
10775 N. St. Helen Road
Roscommon, MI 48653
989-275-5000, ext. 239 or 271
An equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.