May 8, 2017
The Nursing Department, at Kirtland Community College, is sponsoring their 9th nursing conference. The conference will be held at the Health Science Center off 4 Mile Road in Grayling, Michigan. Our conference is titled Communities in Crisis: A Focus on Mental Health. A highlight of this year’s conference will be mental health, and the challenges thus posed in our health care system.
The conference includes topics on the newly mandated continuing education for human trafficking,
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), struggles of our current mental health system, holistic pain management, and the therapeutic use of essential oils on mood and emotions . This popular conference, held in Northern Michigan, also provides opportunity for nurses to network with their respected colleagues.
Download brochure: Nursing Conference 2017 Brochure
- Describe the types and current status of human trafficking.
- Explain the tools used to identify and respond to clients who may be victims of human trafficking.
- Recognize the trauma and the potential effects of human trafficking on mental health.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of PTSD.
- Discuss the treatment for PTSD.
- Recognize consequences of our struggling mental health system.
- Compare concepts of pain management options.
- State the therapeutic use of essential oils on mood and emotions.
After completion attendees will have a clearer understanding of our mental health crisis, and the implications for nursing practice within our mental health care system. This conference will meet the nursing licensure mandate for human trafficking (Rule 338.604), requiring licensees to complete one- time training in identifying victims of human trafficking beginning with the 2017 renewal cycle. This conference will also meet the needed CEU’ s in pain management.