Kirtland Community College is accepting applications for part-time Sign Language Interpreters to provide interpreting and transliterating services for deaf, hard of hearing students, and other hearing impaired college clientele using manual and oral methods of communication.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Effectively, accurately, and impartially conveys the thought, intent, and spirit of a speaker to deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
- Interprets both receptively and expressively.
- Assesses individual communication skills in speech, lip-reading, signs, and fingerspelling in order to utilize the most appropriate mode of communication with each individual.
- Attends advising sessions, classes, labs, faculty/student conferences, tutoring sessions, and other authorized college-related activities with deaf and hard of hearing students to interpret enrollment and other college information, classroom discussions, and campus activities.
- Observes problems encountered and progress made by deaf and hard of hearing students and makes referrals to appropriate support staff.
- Utilizes sign vocabulary adequate to ensure proper interpretation for a variety of academic or technical subject areas and builds knowledge base of subject matter.
- Maintains professional and ethical standards with regard to the privacy of students and the confidentiality of information exchanged in interpreting situations.
- Is offered the opportunity to interpret for special projects such as concerts, other campus activities, and meetings with hard of hearing guests, vendors, and other clientele.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the Disability Services Coordinator
- High school diploma or GED, possess a valid state-issued Certification granted by the Division or a valid national certification granted by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID). Must be listed on the Michigan Online Interpreter System and possess a Standard Level I-State of Michigan Certification with two years’ experience.
- Ability to perform the physical functions of signing for full classroom sessions.
- Ability to work effectively with others in an educational setting.
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, attention to detail, judgment, work standards, planning and organizing, initiative, sensitivity, informal communications, commitment to the college, dependability, oral communications, teamwork
COMPENSATION – Individual in the position will be employed by EduStaff in contract to Kirtland Community College or as an independent contractor. Pay beginning at $30.00 per hour
STARTING DATE – As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE – Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Email cover letter, resume, copies of transcripts and credentials, and three professional references to: email@example.com
Human Resources Department
Kirtland Community College
10775 N. St. Helen Road
Roscommon, MI 48653
989-275-5000, ext. 239 or 391
An equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.