WHEREAS, congress has enacted the American with Disabilities Act; and
WHEREAS, the board of trustees of Kirtland Community College intends to comply with the requirements of the American with Disabilities Act; and
WHEREAS, providing access to education for persons with disabilities is part of the mission of this institution;
THEREFORE, it is hereby resolved by the board of trustees that compliance with the American with Disabilities Act is a priority of this institution. The board of trustees hereby directs the administration to prepare, publish, and distribute policy statements and procedures to comply with the letter and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act and to take prompt action to implement the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Policy statements shall be issued and procedures implemented covering the following areas:
- Appointment of at least one individual with sufficient powers, authority, and staffing to oversee compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Preparation of a comprehensive self-evaluation of all programs and activities of the institution, including employment
- Appointment of a task force to assist the ADA coordinator in his or her functions, in preparation of the self-evaluation, and implementation of a plan of compliance
- Preparation of an institutional budget for the activities of the ADA coordinator, the self-evaluation, and provision of reasonable accommodation or auxiliary aids and services
- Other steps deemed necessary by the administration to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, unless these pose an undue burden or would result in a fundamental alteration of programs of the institution
Further, the administration shall solicit the involvement of the community and individuals with disabilities in conducting the self-evaluation and in setting priorities for compliance.
The administration shall report to the board of trustees no less frequently than every three months during 1993 on the progress being made towards compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.