An effective and functional system of textbook selection is essential to the institution. The following procedure will be followed when adopting new textbooks:
- The instructor will have primary responsibility for textbook selection in his/her subject area.
- Faculty are encouraged to consider adopting open education resources when feasible and appropriate quality for instruction.
- If there are two or more instructors teaching the same course, they will agree on a standard text or texts to be used in different sections of the same course.
- Every effort should be made to select a text which will be used for at least three years.
- Supporting reasons in writing must be presented to the appropriate dean/director for approval if a text is to be changed before the suggested three year period.
- Every attempt should be made to alert the bookstore so that stocks of books may be reduced during the last semester of use.
- The bookstore manager will work with the instructional deans in determining the dates for book orders and book returns.
- Go to Kirtland’s homepage (kirtland.edu) and click on the Quick Links Tab at the top of the Kirtland page and then click on the Student Central Tab. We are the second Blue Tab Option, Buy Your Textbooks Online, click on this and it will take you to our store. It’s at the bottom of the page under Faculty Services, Online Adoptions. Under Faculty Services click on Online Adoptions. This will take you to the adoption screen where you can sign in with your email address and password. If you haven’t already created a profile, you’ll need to at this time. So if you haven’t, click on the blue flag below the login. It says New? Register Here>. This will take you to the form you need to fill in to create a profile. The password for the bookstore is 70652. When you get to the Role question, your role is as submitter. Fill in the rest of the information and at the bottom when it asks you if you want to send the order information to anyone else, please enter firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click continue and the next page is where you start the adoption process. The directions are pretty straight forward here but if you have any problems or questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to help.
- Click Order Course Materials.
- Next page select New order or Re-order If you’re using the same book as a previous semester and want to reorder that one, let me know and I probably have an order number for it that you can use instead of starting from new order. If you’re using a book you haven’t used before, select new order and follow the directions.
- You’ll be asked if you want to search by ISBN and if you do you can put in more than one ISBN number in the list at a time and it will bring them all up.
- Next page Review order- This is where you select the correct information from the drop down boxes and your books should show up on this page. If everything is correct, click continue.
- Next page Submit Order-This just gives the information about your adoption. Click Submit.
- Next page should tell you your order was successfully submitted. You can print this and keep the information for next time or keep a list of your order numbers for next time. It’s up to you.
- At the bottom of this page click Start another order and it will take you back to the page where you can submit an order number. Repeat these instructions until you’re done with your adoptions and then instead of clicking Start another order, click Home and then you can log out up at the top of the homepage
To view the policy, go to POL 4.055 Textbook Selection