The college will provide the following fringe benefits to regular and limited part-time classified employees:
- Each part-time regular or limited classified employee shall be eligible for paid sick leave on a prorated basis.
- The accrual of sick hours shall be based on 96 hours of paid sick leave for each 2080 hours worked.
- The employee should report sick hours used on his/her time sheet. He/she should claim only the amount of hours he/she was scheduled to work on the day missed.
- The college will make contribution to the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System on behalf of each part-time classified employee as mandated by the retirement system.
- Part-time classified employees shall be entitled to absence with pay when the college and/or off-campus facilities are closed due to emergency situations (i.e. inclement weather, electrical outages, etc.) on a day the employee was scheduled to work. The employee should report the hours he/she was scheduled to work on his/her time sheet.
- Part-time regular or limited classified employees shall be eligible for either one tuition free Kirtland Community College course (maximum four credit hours) for each semester or a maximum of four credit hours per semester tuition free for FLEX or module based classes, provided the classes are within the same discipline.Participation in tuition free classes must be with no interference with regular employee responsibilities. In the event the part-time employee does not take advantage of the tuition free course(s), his/her spouse or dependent children are eligible for this benefit.Application fees, student activity fees, book and other class fees must be paid by the recipient of the employee scholarship grant at the time of registration.
- The college shall allow paid time off for part-time classified employees in the event of a death in the employee’s immediate family.
- Up to three days off with pay per occurrence will be granted to a part-time classified employee in the event of a death in the immediate family. The employee will only be paid for scheduled work hours during that bereavement period.
- Immediate family is defined as a spouse, child (including biological, adopted, foster, step, or legal ward), parent (including in-laws), brother, sister, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandparent (including in-laws), grandchild, aunt or uncle, or relative living at the employee’s residence where the employee has day-to-day responsibility for the individual.
- The appropriate administrator may grant additional time off with pay if extenuating circumstances warrant an extension of bereavement leave.
- If by board action the college is closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day and the part-time employee is not given the opportunity to work at the college, the employee will be paid at his/her regular hourly rate for 50% of his/her computed average weekly hours. Computed average weekly hours will be based on hours worked for the first eight pay periods of the fiscal year beginning July 1.
- Part-time classified employees shall be allowed the equivalent of one week’s vacation time each year.
- One week is defined as budgeted weekly hours for each individual part-time classified employee.
- Hours to cover vacation leave shall be transferred by business office personnel from the employee’s sick leave bank at the onset of each fiscal year. Employees must have the full amount of hours required to cover one week’s vacation leave available in their sick leave bank at the end of the fiscal year in order to receive the vacation leave benefit during the next fiscal year.
- Any unused vacation leave will revert back to sick leave at the end of each fiscal year.
- Employees must request time off in advance with their supervisors using a time off request form.
Revised April 17, 1997
Revised August 8, 2002