Purpose is to ensure that individuals who assume or are assigned positions of lesser responsibility are paid equitably relative to other employees of the college.
- The rate of pay for an employee (who either voluntarily or by action of the college) is assigned to a job classification in a lower pay grade and range will be reduced to a point within that range. The amount of the pay rate reduction will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the director of human resources with concurrence of the administration and board of trustees.If the total decrease in an employee’s pay rate results in a “red-circle” situation, the employee will be ineligible for future pay increases until the maximum of the pay range is adjusted to a point beyond the red-circle rate.
For terms of this policy the following definitions will apply:
- Base Pay Rate – The employee’s rate of pay exclusive of overtime or any other form of premium pay.
- Demotion – A change in job assignment from a job in a higher pay range to a job with a lower pay range.
Approved June 10, 1993
PRO 5.340 DEMOTIONS
- If an employee receives a demotion, his or her base pay rate will be reduced to an appropriate point within the lower pay range. The exact rate will be recommended by the director of human resources.
- The following factors will be considered in determining the employee’s new rate:
- Equity among current incumbents within the lower job classifications.
- The probability of satisfactory performance in the new job.
- The director of human resources is responsible for communicating the demotion and pay rate reduction to the affected employee.
- The reduction in the employee’s pay rate will be effective and coincide with the date the new job responsibilities are assumed.