Print Friendly

Special Populations Eligibility

Let’s face it; some of us need a little more assistance than others do. Kirtland has a grant program that supports students in what we call Special Populations. We think you’re special if you’re fighting for your future because you fit into one or more of the following categories:

Single Parent (including single and pregnant)

  • Unmarried or separated from a spouse
  • Have a minor child or children for which you have either custody or joint custody

Displaced Homemaker

If you are under-employed or unemployed and experiencing difficulty in obtaining employment or upgrading employment AND:

  • Have worked without pay to care for the home AND the family for a minimum of 5 years, have diminished marketable skills; OR
  • Have been dependent on the income of a relative but are no longer supported by such income; OR
  • Are a parent and your youngest dependent child will become ineligible to receive assistance under Part A of Title IV of the SS Act not later than 2 years after the date on which you apply for assistance under this title.

Non-traditional Training and Employment Participant

Students enrolled in an occupational program that is considered non-traditional for your gender as determined by National Labor Statistics and State Year End Program Enrollment Data.

Individuals with Limited English Proficiency

Adults with limited ability in speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language, and whose native language is a language other than English.

Individuals with a Disability

Anyone having any of the disabilities as defined in Section 3 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

Economically Disadvantaged

People from economically disadvantaged families, including foster children.  You must be one or more of the following:

  •  Pell grant or other financial assistance recipient
  • A migrant