Your success at Kirtland is so important that we make sure you’re not in over your head. In order to do that, we have to be sure you possess basic skills in English, reading, and math.
Our testing process will give you a foundation for a great college experience.
Placement testing is important because it determines your placement in the following general education categories:
The best part about Kirtland’s COMPASS placement testing is the way the computerized testing program is designed. It advances quickly or more slowly and adapts to your skill level while you are taking it.
The placement test is multiple-choice and staff members will be there if you need them.
So, relax. Leave any test anxiety you may have at the door. When you’re done, you will be ready for success at Kirtland.
You must show your drivers license.
Placement testing is available on a walk-in basis:
Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: The Testing Center will be closed on Fridays except during OAR registration days and finals week. The Testing Center will also be closed on the following dates: April 18, May 26, July 4.
The placement test is all computerized using COMPASS software.Testing takes place in Room 248 in the Administration Building. Students need to report directly to the Testing Center with current photo ID. No appointment is necessary.
Students may visit our website at http://www.kirtland.edu/testing-center or call
(989) 275-5000, extension 339, for information regarding placement testing.The placement assessment takes approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete. Review before you test! To view sample questions go to www.act.org/compass/sample
*If you are planning to take your COMPASS assessment at another college that does not use e-Write for English placements, you will need to complete your COMPASS e-Write assessment at Kirtland.
Additional Placement Testing Sites:
- MTEC at Kirtland Gaylord – 60 Livingston Blvd. Gaylord. Phone: (989) 705-3600. Placement testing available by appointment only.
- Iosco Regional Educational Service Agency – 27 N. Rempert Rd. Tawas City. Phone: (989) 362-3006. Placement testing available by appointment only.
More About Placement Testing
Kirtland Community College recognizes the importance of students possessing certain basic skills in English, reading, and mathematics. Since these skills are vital to each student’s successful completion of college-level course work, demonstrated proficiencies in English, reading, and mathematics (based on assessment test scores or completion of recommended classes) are required.
Placement testing is required of all students attending Kirtland Community College except those students transferring from another college or university who have completed English and mathematics with a grade of “C” or better. Acceptable ways of demonstrating one or more of the basic skills proficiencies would include:
- ACT test results within the last four years. These results can be presented in person or mailed to the admissions office.
- Test results from the Advanced Placement Program, CLEP, or DSST. Official transcripts must be sent to the admissions office. An application must be on file for a credit evaluation to be completed.
- Transfer credit in English and mathematics (“C” grade or better) from another college or university. Official transcripts must be sent to the admissions office. An application must be on file for a credit evaluation to be completed.
- Test results from the Kirtland placement tests.
- “Personal Interest” students may take transitional education courses, business seminars, and studio art courses and/or one vocational-technical course without being required to test for such placements