Welcome to This Week @ Kirtland! I am Sarah Madonna, director of public information, and I hope you’ll enjoy our newest blog and spend some time each week checking out a few of the great things going on here at Kirtland Community College. As you’ll see over the coming weeks and months, Kirtland has a lot to offer to current and future students, employees, community members and business partners in all of the counties we serve throughout northern Michigan.
Your future – it’s closer than you think. And so is Kirtland Community College. Our main campus in Roscommon, extension sites in Gaylord and West Branch, and our large selection of online courses and degrees are all designed to help you realize your educational and career goals. We integrate the latest technologies with active learning strategies, collaboration and problem solving to unlock your career potential.
Kirtland is a world class institution delivering world class career training because your future is our top priority. For the Fall 2012 semester, faculty and staff returned and spent several days preparing for another great year of student learning. At our convocation meeting, Kirtland president Dr. Tom Quinn spent a few minutes celebrating our collective achievements and recognizing those things that make Kirtland unique – and world class.
Dr. Quinn’s “We Are World Class” is the focus of our first This Week @ Kirtland. We are proud of our ability to deliver educational opportunities to our neighboring communities. I think you’ll be proud – and maybe even a little surprised – as you look through some of Dr. Quinn’s world class highlights.
- Kirtland is a leader in using active learning classrooms as a tool for new learning strategies. Other elite community colleges have taken notice and are also looking at this instructional strategy.
- Kirtland has been ranked in the top 10 colleges for innovative technology every year since 2004 and we are still moving forward.
- Kirtland is able to harness its limited resources to generate opportunities for students and provide them greater access to technology rich education.
- We have programs that offer 100 percent employment upon graduation.
- Kirtland is number one in the state for percent students enrolled in occupational education.
- We are progressing toward the development of centers of excellence in programs and Kirtland is a leader in this concept in Michigan.
- Kirtland has a 2.94 percent market penetration in our immediate service area and a significant market penetration outside our area. This is exceptional in a rural community college and is evidence that we offer value added programs that our students are looking for and local employers expect.
- Kirtland is developing new programs that attract students from out-of-district and out-of-state.
- Kirtland’s Phi Theta Kappa Student Honor Society was recognized as a Five Star Chapter in 2012. This is a national award.
- Kirtland is an award winning college in Service Learning. Service to others is an important way to give back to our communities and studies show Service Learning participants have higher retention and the investment lasts a lifetime.
- Our athletic programs are competitive at a state level and we have athletes who have participated in national competition.
- Kirtland’s Auto Tech program hosts Chrysler Corporation and is a training center for Chrysler employees throughout Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.
- We are a leader in collecting and analyzing data in order to make data-driven decisions to determine the future growth and direction of Kirtland.
- A new master facility plan will take Kirtland into the next fifty years. We plan to invest $38 million in facility changes, upgrades and green, energy saving initiatives.
- Kirtland has world class facilities for child care which is an example and training site for other care providers.
- The Kirtland Foundation has taken on a new role and is providing donors and benefactors with new options for legacy giving.
- Kirtland is reaccredited by the Higher Learning Commission and we have programs that are nationally accredited. Other programs are actively working toward national accreditation.
- Area K-12 school districts have interviewed other colleges and have asked Kirtland to be the provider of dual enrollment courses for their students.
- Kirtland is reacting to the needs of employers and beginning to educate more students with new employability skills. This is a national agenda and Kirtland is on the cutting edge.
- Our board members have a voice in community college policy at the state level.
- Advisors and mentors have a world class vision for helping students complete their education.
- Kirtland is a leader in economic development using art and outdoor recreation. Our communities count on our help.
- Employees tell us that we are ahead of other Michigan colleges in reacting to demographic changes and our economy and in creating new models for operations.
- A growing number of Kirtland employees present at state and national conferences each year.
- When we ask legislators to come to Kirtland, they do. They see us as an educational leader.
- Employees have a vision for the future and this vision is to be a world class educational institution. It is a common vision and mutual goal to collectively accomplish this vision.
Your future – it really is closer than you think. And it all begins @ Kirtland!