Are you curious about what goes on inside the operating room?
Perhaps you’ve thought many times about entering a health care profession and have been curious about what goes on behind the scenes, especially in the operating room.
If you want to become an insider in a growing healthcare field, or if you’re drawn by the excitement of assisting with surgical procedures, surgical technology may be just right for you.
Some new surgical technologists are receiving sign-on bonuses up to $20,000!
Surgical Technologists are in demand. We place more than 90% of our graduates in jobs immediately, so every bit of effort you put into completing your college program will pay off multiple times over after just two semesters of training (plus prerequisites)!
High earning potential, job security with benefits, meaningful work that makes a difference in people’s lives every day, working as a respected member of a surgical team – these are things you can look forward to in this highly specialized field.
Surgical technologists (surg techs) are essential to every surgical team, working in operating rooms alongside surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses. They:
- help prepare the operating room
- assemble sterile equipment and supplies
- assist the team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and sterile gowns
- help to prepare and drape patients
- mix, label, and pass medications
- pass instruments to surgeons during surgery
- count sponges, needles, and other instruments before and after surgery
Is this a program where YOU can shine?
If you agree with most of these ideas, the answer may be YES…
- I’m empathetic and want to help others.
- I’m hard-working, organized, and dedicated.
- I want to be in health care, but I don’t want to provide daily direct patient care.
- I’m excited about being an important member of a life-saving team.
- I’m fascinated by and curious about the human body – from the inside.
- I can keep calm even when I’m under pressure.
- I like to learn alongside other students in a supportive environment.
Your Kirtland education is respected by employers
Kirtland’s Surgical Technology Program is Nationally Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
This means your certification will be accepted anywhere in the United States AND your prospective employers will be confident that you’re well prepared to do the work.
Because of our reputation, most employers understand that, at Kirtland, you were prepared professionally in a state-of-the-art facility by highly qualified faculty, you learned the most industry-current technology, and you did that in real-life surgical suite training labs!
It doesn’t get any better than that.
You’ll have an exceptional experience at Kirtland
Our highly experienced faculty care about your success
One thing Kirtland is known for is having caring faculty who not only know their subject areas, but also care deeply about the wellbeing and progress of their students.
Our Program Director is at the top of the field in surgical technology education
She has received numerous prestigious awards for excellence and has been named one of the top instructors in the nation by Medical Technology Schools.
State-of-the-art classrooms with latest technology
Not only do we have a beautiful campus, we also use the latest in innovative instructional technologies in our ‘smart classrooms.’ Our outstanding labs duplicate real-life scenarios, helping you to prepare more accurately for working on real patients when the time comes.
Passionate student-focused advisors provide the guidance you need to succeed
Our advisors are well-known among current and former students alike for their kindness and exceptional level of interest and commitment to our students’ success. They’ll do their best to answer your questions and get you the correct information so you’re on the right track.
Kirtland makes it easier to work out the finances
You can save a lot of money by enrolling here. Our tuition rates are one-third the cost of most four-year schools and universities!
We also have many resources for financial aid and professional staff who’ll help you apply.
Get help with your financial aid
You may be surprised by how simple it is to apply for government grants, scholarships and loans. Your credit history is not a major consideration in qualifying for federal aid. You DON’T need to attend school full-time to qualify. And we will assist you with the process you’re dreading IF you need help. Often students are eligible for more money than they’re expecting.
Your path to a lucrative & fulfilling future
Step 1 — Get Started
Speak to an advisor!
They’ll help you navigate the process, dot the I’s and cross the T’s! If you’ve made your decision, declare Surg Tech as your program of study with your advisor, which will help you rank higher for the limited spaces in the program.
Complete your prerequisites.
They’re all online to make it easy for you to fit them into your schedule. A few are also available in person if you prefer face-to-face classes. Our advisors will be glad to go through this with you. Call 989-275-5000, ext. 280.
Apply to the Surg Tech program.
Important details! On-time applications are accepted from January 15-May 15. Late applications are accepted up until the fall semester starts, but only if there are still spaces available! Be sure to declare Surgical Technology as your program of study early to be among the first in line for limited enrollment spaces.
Get accepted to the program and complete your program courses and your clinicals.
Fall semester: Classroom and Labs
- Learn about basic surgical procedures.
- Learn surgical instruments for many types of surgeries.
- Learn the rules of aseptic technique … how to keep the operating room sterile!
- Learn how to take care of surgical patients
Winter semester: Classroom and Clinicals
- You’ll be in the classroom one day per week, learning about advanced surgical specialties such as orthopedics, cardiovascular, and neurosurgery.
- Scrub in! It’s finally time for Clinicals! You’ll have on-the-job training Tuesday through Friday with a preceptor, a Surgical Technologist employed by one of our 13 area hospitals.
Sit for the national certification exam.
Congratulations! You passed the exam and you’re now a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)!
Victory! Graduate with an Associate Degree in Surgical Technology!
Get a job with great benefits!
Area hospitals love to hire Kirtland Surgical Technology Graduates.