The purpose of this Surgical Technology Program is to prepare students who have demonstrated the necessary desire, aptitude, strength of character, and maturity to obtain and hold a Surgical Technologist position.
- To prepare competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Apply knowledge and skills from the biological sciences to safely perform during the pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative phases of patient care.
- Utilize appropriate medical terminology to communicate clearly and effectively with patients, physicians, and co-workers and provide for accurate documentation.
- Employ appropriate ethical, professional, and respectful values while providing care to diverse populations within the healthcare system.
- Demonstrate a strong surgical conscience, accountability, and legal implications of an individual’s actions as a member of the surgical team.
- Integrate knowledge gained in core surgical technology courses to prepare for and assist with surgical interventions.
- Utilize learned competencies to assemble and operate instruments, equipment and supplies for the delivery of patient care as an entry-level practitioner during basic surgical procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and organize the surgical field, while considering the physiology and urgency of patient care needs.
- Demonstrate an entry-level knowledge base by successfully completing the Certification exam.