What is the OWL?
The OWL provides online writing assistance. It allows current Kirtland students, faculty and staff the opportunity to send drafts of their writing or questions about writing, to the OWL tutors through KMail and receive feedback from a Kirtland writing tutor.
As with in-person tutoring, tutors are available to help students improve their writing at the global level with attention to argument, structure, organization and effectiveness. While face-to-face tutoring is more effective, there are times when it is not possible to meet with a writing tutor.
All students, who wish to submit to the OWL, are required to read the Submission Guidelines found below. Following the guidelines will ensure a timely and appropriate response to questions.
Questions about the OWL? E-mail us at email@example.com.
OWL Submission Guidelines
- All submissions to the OWL must be made using Kirtland’s KMail. Struggling with KMail? Contact Kirtland’s ITS Department at 989-275-5000 ext. 499 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit one paragraph or up to 5 pages as either a Word or RTF attachment.
- In order to ensure a quality response to your questions or concerns, please submit
- assignment information
- specific questions or concerns
- anything else that will best help the writing tutor understand the assignment and concerns.
- OWL submissions without sufficient assignment information will be returned unread and a request will be made for more information regarding the assignment as we are unable to accurately address your concerns if we do not have enough information.
- The OWL is not a proofreading or editing service as this would be unethical.
- The OWL is an online service; please allow 24-48 hours for a response.