Our hours for the Fall 2020 semester are 11 a.m.-1p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, Room 2013, at the Grayling campus, or call 275-5000 ext. 2013, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Are We?
The Writing Center is one-on-one, in-person writing assistance with a Kirtland English instructor or a Kirtland student tutor. Located in the Room 2013 at the Grayling campus, English faculty and student tutors are available to help students improve their writing at the global level with attention to argument, structure, organization and effectiveness. The focus is on helping students develop their writing skills and techniques for proofing and editing their work. The Writing Center is a free tutoring resource to all current Kirtland students, faculty and staff.
What Services Do We Offer Writers?
Writing tutors help at any stage of the writing process:
- Starting: Understanding assignments, brainstorming, discussing and developing ideas.
- Drafting: Finding a focus, choosing a purpose, targeting an audience and developing a thesis or an argument.
- Revising: Improving paper organization, expanding ideas, improving clarity and cohesion.
- Researching: Finding a topic and choosing search terms, conducting searches, evaluating sources, integrating material into papers, documentation styles and citations.
- Polishing: Learn how to polish papers by learning to find and correct errors in punctuation, usage and grammar.
- The Writing Center is also a community resource to answer any English language question. Any person in the Kirtland Community College district can use our expert help with any type of English question. Does your business want to know whether to use single or double quotation marks on a new web page? Call, email, or stop in to ask us any English language question. If we don’t know, we’ll do the research to answer your English question.
OWL (Online Writing Lab)
If you are unable to make it to Grayling, the OWL is an alternative option for obtaining writing assistance.
Virtual Writing Center (VWC)
If you need face-to-face help but cannot make the drop-in Writing Center hours, the VWC is another option for obtaining writing assistance. Email us at email@example.com to set up a virtual appointment.