Responsible for all matters pertaining to the Kirtland Community College bowling program, and supporting the academic success of the student athletes.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Ensures that the Kirtland Community College bowling program conforms with the standards and requirements of the college, the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA), and the National Junior College Athletic Association.
Manages and directs players during games according to collegiate standards for sportsmanship and the rules of the college athletic associations.
Schedules, coordinates, mentors, and coaches team members during practice sessions.
Responsible for the effective training, mentoring, and discipline of the program staff and student participants.
Establishes performance goals and standards for players and fairly enforces those standards.
Provides encouragement and support for student academic growth, enforces college and NJCAA academic standards for academic performance.
Responsible for the behavior of team members at all events that fall within the purview of bowling coach, demonstrates, encourages, and appropriately corrects behaviors to reflect the standards of Kirtland Community College and the MCCAA, and administers discipline with due consideration for the dignity and self-respect of the individuals under their responsibility.
Supports the athletic director in creating a good environment for spectators at games.
Responsible for the proper motivation of the student athletes whereby players find success in working hard to accomplish goals, and in an objective manner respects the individual’s ability.
As a representative of Kirtland, maintains an image of professionalism at all times.
Recruits student athletes for the team in coordination with the athletic director.
Helps chauffeur team to all away meets in accordance with college policy.
Responsible for overseeing the budget for the bowling program and recommends the purchase of all equipment and uniforms. Adheres to all college policies and procedures.
Directs and coordinates all bowling tournaments hosted by the college.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the athletic director.
ATTENDANCE – Individuals in this position are expected to be present and available at all scheduled meets and practice sessions, to assist with recruitment, and to be generally available for advice and counsel to students participating in the bowling program.
WORKING CONDITIONS- Conditions are those of a typical college athletic program, requiring the ability to create understanding of the techniques of the sport in participants, to manage and direct participants in athletic contests, to perform frequent oral and online communication with participants and professional colleagues, and engage in travel under late night, weekend, and occasionally poor weather conditions.
- Experience as a participant, and demonstrated in-depth knowledge and understanding of the sport of bowling
- Minimum one season experience as a coach of a college or high school bowling program, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of the position
- Knowledge of college recruitment guidelines, and the ability to appropriately apply and coordinate with Kirtland standards, goals, and objectives
- Experience and ability in budget development and effective management.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring qualities
- Ability to appropriately and effectively direct, encourage, and guide team members with a diversity of backgrounds, personalities, and abilities. Demonstrated ability to motivate and maintain discipline with student-athletes.
- Ability to work effectively with others in an educational setting
JOB DIMENSIONS -Knowledge of work, performance results, planning & organizing, impact, persuasiveness, self-reliance, sensitivity, attention to detail, work standards, initiative, stress tolerance, technical/ professional self-development, analysis, judgment, decisiveness, commitment to college, teamwork, dependability, written and informal communications, oral presentations, influence, and delegation
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.