Responsible for researching, developing, and disseminating information and materials that promote the college’s programs and services to internal and external audiences as part of the college’s marketing efforts.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Writes and distributes press releases, public service announcements, and print advertising copy that promote the college’s programs and services.
Creates brochures, programs, direct mail pieces, and other promotional and coordinating materials to be used in a variety of media to promote the college’s programs and services.
Establishes contacts and rapport with media representatives, keeps them informed of college events and activities, and arranges and coordinates their college visits and interviews. Coordinates and conducts press conferences when appropriate.
Supervises the production of radio and television advertising.
Serves as the advisor to the president on matters pertaining to the public image of the college; presents the position of the college on assigned issues.
Promotes college activities and events, such as graduations, and special events by compiling information, conducting interviews, and writing and distributing copy for interested parties.
Serves as the primary contact person with community groups seeking unique information about the college, such as the location and timing of sporting or special events, and whether the college would provide speakers, facilities, or other support for community activities. Coordinates a bureau of employees who serve as speakers at club/group meetings.
May act as publicist, liaison, coordinator, or host of special events such as groundbreakings and dedications.
Acts as publicist for the Kirtland foundation and its subcommittees; provides assistance with fundraising drives, publicity and promotional events, and letter writing. Works with other Kirtland employees to build relationships with potential donors.
Develops and recommends, with the help of the marketing committee, an advertising budget.
Develops reliable mechanisms for measuring the results of the college’s advertising efforts.
Performs other related tasks as required.
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the college president
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, or related field
- Three to five years of experience in related field, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Working familiarity with computerized word processing and communication methods
- Working knowledge of digital photography and Photoshop or other related software, and able to take photos in a variety of settings with occasional difficult physical accessibility
- Demonstrated professional writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with citizens and potential donors in a professional setting
- Possess a working familiarity and understanding of the function of local and regional news organizations, their operations, structure, and their basis for decision-making regarding coverage for Kirtland Community College
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently in both an office and a physically extensive regional setting, and function effectively in a team-oriented professional environment
JOB DIMENSIONS – Analysis, Judgment, Planning and Organizing, Impact, Influence, Sensitivity, Self-reliance, Teamwork, Dependability, Persuasiveness, Stress Tolerance, Attention to Detail, Work Standards, Initiative, Informal Communications, Written Communications, Oral Presentations, Commitment to College, Knowledge of work, Technical/Professional Self Development
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.