Performs various police duties to provide campus security. Primary duty periods are evenings and weekends; responds to medical and other emergencies on the college campus and assists with training exercises in the criminal justice programs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Performs various campus police duties as needed; responds to complaints, conducts investigations, and may issue citations in accordance with law and board policy
Assists in planning and training for, and responds to medical and other emergencies that occur on Kirtland’s campus; may be required to work in conjunction with other law enforcement agencies
Assists in monitoring the status of campus security concerns and security equipment; reports maintenance, upgrade, and acquisition needs to the full-time public safety officer
Assists with criminal justice program training exercises and may assist in developing and presenting staff training programs such as sexual assault prevention, pepper spray training, dealing with violent individuals, etc. through Kirtland’s public safety office
Performs other related duties as assigned
SUPERVISION – Works under the general supervision of the director of public safety
- Associate degree with Michigan First Responder or related training
- One to three years of related work experience, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of the position
- Eligible for MCOLES Certification as a law enforcement officer
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, which may require the enforced restraint of a violent individual
- Interpersonal skills consistent with community policing of a diverse student and employee population
JOB DIMENSIONS – Knowledge of work, planning and organization, self-reliance, sensitivity, attention to detail, work standards, initiative, stress tolerance, technical/professional self development, analysis/judgment, commitment to the college, teamwork, dependability, written communication, informal communication, oral presentations
Kirtland Community College is an equal opportunity employer
* This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.