TUTORING: We’re located in the Library (LIB)
Phone: (989) 275-5000, ext. 246 | Fax: (989) 275-8510 | Email: email@example.com
Deb Shumaker, Director of Library and Tutoring
(989) 275-5000, ext. 246
Helen Scheer, Lead Math Tutor
(989) 275-5000, ext. 379
Johnny Elsner, Lead Language Arts Tutor
(989) 275-5000, ext. 430
Fall & Winter Semester Hours: Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. | Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Summer Session & Breaks: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
DROP-IN MATH TUTORING & THE WRITING CENTER
Drop-In Math Tutoring – Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
West Branch Drop-In Math: Tuesday 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. & Thursday 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Gaylord M-TEC Drop-In Math: TBA
The Writing Center -Winter 2015: Monday 11 a.m. – 2 p.m & Tues, Wed Thurs 10 a.m. – 1p.m. The OWL (for online assistance) firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response.
The Writing Center/Gaylord M-TEC – Tuesday 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. & Thursday 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Worried? Struggling or Stressed? Need to kick it up a notch? What are you waiting for? Visit the Tutoring Center in the Library and take control of your learning, your success and your life.
The Tutoring Center wants to help you acquire the skills and strategies necessary to become a strong, confident and independent learner.
Tutors will help current Kirtland students develop study habits and strategies that will support coursework and help students reach academic and personal goals — all for free! The Tutoring Center helps students put their wise decisions, good choices and hard work together to create success with one-on-one, private tutoring sessions, small group workshops and drop-in assistance for math and writing to:
- be a more confident student
- have less stress and frustration
- study smarter, not harder
- Writing help is available through The Writing Center and OWL.
- The Writing Center is one-on-one, in-person writing assistance with a part-time English instructor. Located in the Kirtland Library and at M-TEC, tutors are available to help students improve their writing at the global level with attention to argument, structure, organization and effectiveness. The focus is on helping students develop their writing skills and techniques for proofing and editing their work.
- The OWL provides online writing assistance with a 24-48 hour response time. If unable to make it to The Writing Center, the OWL is an alternative option for obtaining writing assistance.
- The Writing Center tutors help with anything from brainstorming, drafting and polishing a paper to ideas, letters and résumés. All current Kirtland students, faculty and staff are invited to make use of either service.
Please note that we can and will help you learn to improve your writing skills; however, our writing tutors will not write, edit or proofread your papers as this would be unethical.
- Math help is available in the Math Drop-In Lab located in the Library.
- The Math Drop-In Lab is one-on-one personal assistance from a part-time math instructor.
- Students do homework there so help is available when needed.
Request a Tutor
Any student who needs help in any subject or with study skills is encouraged to request a tutor. First, talk to your instructor. If the instructor agrees that tutoring is the best option, visit the Library to sign up for free tutoring. Fill out the online application by clicking on the Request a Tutor button below. If you are in Canvas, click on the Request Tutoring link at the top right hand corner of the Canvas page banner. Have questions? The Tutoring Center staff will be glad to answer them in person, via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (989) 275-5000, ext. 246.
The Tutoring Center serves all students, even honor students, and it is not unusual for our tutors to take advantage of tutoring. No need to feel bashful. Be smart. Know when to ask for help. At a residential college, students often study together in the dorms. At a commuter college, they study together in Tutoring!
It is our goal to find every student a tutor. Please note that this is not always possible. Check with us to see how we can assist you. Stop in the Library or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (989) 275-5000, ext. 246. We are here to help you…Be the future.Request a tutor
Become a Tutor
Our tutors are successful Kirtland students who have already taken the class(es) they are tutoring. Any student who:
- has an overall GPA of 3.0 or above,
- has received an A/B+ in the class(es) they’re interested in tutoring,
- can communicate well and relate sensitively to other students
may apply to be a tutor in our program. Tutor training occurs throughout the semester, which provides tutors with professional CRLA (College Reading & Learning Association) certification, a great addition to the résumé.
If you want to become a tutor, stop in the Library or contact us at email@example.com or (989) 275-5000, ext. 246.