Updated June, 2016
HLC provides a broad framework for required faculty credentials and expects each college/university to clarify specific requirements for each discipline that would be acceptable to an accreditation committee of peers.
I. Submission and Verification of Documents
- Deans/Directors collect and review credentials of faculty in their respective departments using established KCC procedures.
- Vice President of Instruction verifies credentials align with degree content using established KCC procedures.
- Faculty must submit official transcripts from each institution they attended, to Human Resources within 30 days of the hire date.
- Faculty with advanced degrees from foreign institutions must have their credentials evaluated and translated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved organization prior to beginning work with KCC. Original documentation must be submitted prior to hire date
II. Credential Table Review & Updating Process
- Vice Presidents of Instruction (VPI) will review the Faculty Credentials Table in July unless an issue is determined to be essential for immediate resolution. Other issues will be reviewed during regular Dean/Directors meetings.
- Revisions to the KCC Faculty Credentials Table may be proposed to the academic administration team by any of the following groups: faculty members, deans, or directors.
- Recommendations not received during the annual review each July will be reviewed at the next annual review.
- Disagreement among faculty subject matter experts, Deans, Directors, or Vice Presidents will be resolved by a special committee named by the President (Vice President, Dean and two faculty members from a department other than the one presenting the dispute).
- The updated KCC Faculty Credentials Table will be disseminated to faculty, deans and directors and posted to the HR site by the Vice President after each revision. The revision date is posted on the last page of the document and the file name. The revision date will include a synopsis of changes.
III. Credential Statement
KCC adheres to the following academic credentials requirements for all members of the faculty:
- Academic faculty teaching transfer courses must have earned and be able to document receipt of a master’s degree in the teaching discipline or a master’s degree with at least 18 graduate hours in the teaching specialty;
- Faculty positions in developmental studies (reading, writing and math) and English as a second language require documentation of at least a bachelor’s degree; a minimum of 12 undergraduate hours in the teaching field.
- Qualifications for teaching occupational/technical courses require at least three years of related work experience and at least an associates degree in the teaching field. Faculty are required to document work experience with an updated resume/CV. Deans and directors are required to verify relevant experience prior to hire.
- Hiring recommendations can be based upon immediate receipt/review of unofficial transcripts.
- Newly hired employees are required to provide official transcripts. Official transcripts should be sent directly from the institution(s) to KCC Human Resources. Transcripts must be received within thirty (30) days of the start date.
To ensure consistency, following the appropriate levels of credentials review, the VPI will determine eligibility for hire.