FERPA affords students enrolled in postsecondary institutions certain rights with respect to education records. Those rights include the following:
- Right to Inspect: A student has the right to inspect and review his/her education records maintained by Kirtland Community College within 45 days of the school’s receipt of a written request for access.
- Right to Request Amendment: A student has the right to request the amendment of his/her education record(s) that are believed to be inaccurate or misleading. This right includes the right to a hearing to present evidence that the record should be revised. If a requested amendment is denied after a hearing, a student also has the right to place a statement in his/her educational record commenting on the challenged information.
- Right to Consent to Disclosure: A student has the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in his/her education record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- Right to Complain: A student has the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Kirtland Community College to comply with FERPA requirements.
- Right to Obtain Copies of this Policy: A student has the right to obtain copies of this policy upon request.