Print Friendly

Veterans Educational Benefits

Next Steps for Veterans – Easy to follow steps to utilizing VA benefits at Kirtland.

Educational Benefit Programs

Federal educational benefit programs available to veterans, dependents, and selected reservists are the following:

  • Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation Veterans (for service disabled veterans)
  • Chapter 35, Educational Assistance for Veterans Dependents Children and spouses of veterans who died of a service-connected disability or who are totally and permanently disabled from a service-connected disability
  • Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1607, Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

VA Application Process

The VA encourages all applicants to apply online at  This is the quickest way to have your eligibility determined. The application process can take 8 to 12 weeks so students should apply a full semester before they intend to enroll in college.

For questions on how to apply for benefits or what benefits each program offers, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

Certification of Enrollment

Students must enroll for courses and submit a Kirtland Veteran’s Certification Request form to the Student Financial Office. Enrollment is generally reported after the semester census date.

Paying for Classes

Only Chapters 31 & 33 provide payment for tuition/fees.  All other programs pay a monthly stipend directly to the student.  Students are solely responsible for payment by the due date. It is recommended that students apply for aid to determine eligibility for grants & loans.

Other Programs for Veterans/Dependents

Federal Tuition Assistance

  1. Soldiers must request TA through prior to the course start date.
  2. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
  3. GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.
  4. All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged

State Tuition Assistance Program

The State Tuition Assistance Program is available to soldiers of all ranks, upon enlistment, and is in the form of a reimbursement to the student. The program can provide up to $4,500 per year for tuition and most fees. The student must maintain a 2.0 GPA. For more detailed information and to sign up, go to

Military Spouse Career Advancement

Unofficially referred to as Spouse Tuition Assistance, the Department of Defense recently expanded Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program can provide up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses.  Visit for more information and links to apply.

National Guard Grant

Kirtland Community College awards a grant based on fees for eligible Michigan Air and Army National Guard members. The application can be found at our Important Forms! link below.

Children of Veterans Trust Fund

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG) was previously called Education of Children of Veterans, Public Act 245 of 1935 and was administered and funded by the Michigan Trust Fund. In 2005, CVTG was established under Public Act 248 to provide an undergraduate tuition program for children of certain deceased or disabled members of the armed forces of the United States.

The program is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who have been Michigan residents for the 12 months prior to application. To be eligible, a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. Stepchildren of the veteran are not eligible. The veteran must have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and must not have later resided outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service. See our Important Forms! page for an application.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Emergency Grants

Temporary assistance granted by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) for emergencies or hardships is available to eligible wartime veterans and their families, residing in the State.  For more information contact the State at (517)284-5299 or go to Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Emergency Grants online.


Get veterans educational benefits forms from our Important Forms! page.

Student Financial Services Office
Kirtland Community College
10775 N. St. Helen Rd.
Roscommon, MI 48653 USA

(989) 275-5000, ext. 257
Fax: (989) 275-6789

Service Members Opportunity College (SOC)

Kirtland Community College is designated as an SOC. The designation means the college understands service members’ special needs and is receptive to working with them. The college also participates in the Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP) as future students enlist in the U.S. Army.